Home Security Tips for Holiday Travelers
As we come to the end of 2016, we find that the world has become a scary place where so many of us use social media without worry of the consequences. We turn a blind eye to the reality of posting everything we do for the world to see. We feel that only our family and friends see what we post. We do not take into consideration while posting when we go out of town and pictures of our homes or loved ones, that someone may be watching your movements online. We do what we feel is necessary to protect our homes—lock our doors and windows, keep shrubs low and install motion activated lights. Did you know that 80% of ex-burglars, when interviewed, said a home security system would make them totally avoid breaking into that house!
We use Social Media as a fun and easy way to tell family and friends what we are doing in our lives. We use it to encourage others and to pray for others. But posting your whereabouts or photos of your home is the #1 mistake most people make.
When posting on Social Media remember these simple tips to keep you and your family safe.
- Privacy Settings. Most media platforms offer you the ability to control who sees what. Make sure you are using a non-public status so you control who sees what.
- The Details. Be careful when posting details of an upcoming trip. With all the excitement you’re not thinking of who may be watching your movements online.
- Updating your Status. We want to tell our family and friends everything we are doing while away on vacation. Be very careful in the details not to let criminals know you’re not at home and won’t be for a while.
- The Photos You Post. Just remember a picture is worth a thousand words. It can provide a criminal with just enough information to know that you are out of town. Wait until you return home to post about your trip. It is a good way to relive your vacation after you return home.
- Holidays are Upon Us. Holidays mean more people are traveling. Now is the time to be especially careful about what you post. If you must travel here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked.
- Don’t hide a key near the door. If someone is coming to check on things, give them a key.
- Make sure mail and deliveries are stopped for the duration of your trip.
- Don’t have valuables in view to be seen by anyone.
- Most important is having a security system for your home. Homes that display security signs and window stickers will discourage burglars from taking action and they will move to the next unsecure home. Make sure all yard signs and window stickers are visible.
Follow these few simple points and it will help make your home less of a target. Be cautious of what you post on Social Media, take a few security measures, install a home security system and you will be able to enjoy your vacation more and come home to a home that is safe and secure.